Thursday, May 20, 2010

Our Anniversary

We celebrate two anniversaries, but today is the most special one. We were married by court on June 17, 2005 while we were planning our wedding set to be on May 20th, 2006. Hubby was scheduled to go back to his duty station and finish up his last few months in the Marine Corps and receive physical therapy. We could not be apart anymore especially after his accident in Iraq so we did the unthinkable. One day he came up with a crazy idea of getting married and having me move to North Carolina with him. Thank god it was during the summer and I was taking classes oneline, so I was able to go with the plan. Two days before  he was set to leave we went to the Justice of the Peace and got married. We count June 17th as the day we got married, but celebrate it on May 20th, the day of our  wedding ceremony confusing I know. This was the day my dad walked me down the aisle, the day I wore my beautiful white dress, the evening that we danced all night long, and then took off to honeymoon in the Carribean the morning after.

We were married at the beautiful St. Paul's Methodist in the Muesum district and had our wedding ceremony at the Marriott galleria. Our wedding song was "Making Memries of Us" by Keith Urban.  We honeymooned in St. Maarten. Everything about our wedding was perfect.

So technically we celebrate today but count June 17th as the initial start of  spending our lives together, does that make sense? June 17th we will make 5 years. We do the traditional wedding gifts to each other to allow us to be creative. The first year was "paper", he got me tickets to vacation in Colorado. For the 5th anniversary its silverware (modern) and wood  (traditional). I'll post pictures of the gift I got him after today. This weekend we're going out in town to celebrate and have a nice dinner. Happy Anniversary to us!

Edit- I have to aw my hubby, he just had delivered a beautiful arrangement of red roses to my job. Although he buys me flowers all the time he never has them delivered. The last time and only other time he did was when I turned 20 in (2001) and we weren't even dating we were just "friends".  It was about that time,lol!

1 comment:

The DougFish said...

Congrats on your wedding anniversary. Ours is around the corner too in July. The 'big' 3 ;)