Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sweet Peas Where a Success,Sweet Potatoes Weren't and a Rose Butt!

So we started Gabriella on solids Saturday. We started with sweet peas and I was pleasently surprised. I'd heard that many babies do not like the bitter taste of sweet peas, but Miss G had no problem. She gobbled them like a pro and would open her mouth for more and even reach out for the spoon-no kidding! I was really glad that we decided to wait on introducing solids until 6 months because she is much more ready for them at this point. I remember seeing babies get fed to only have most of the food come right back out, due to the tongue-thrust reflux. Believe me, people gave us a hard time about not feeding her solids at 3 or 4 months or even before, but as long as her pedi agreed we stuck to our guns. She opened her mouth as if she had done it a million times before and enjoyed them.

Hmm, the sweet potatoes on the other hand were not so tasty according to Gabriella. I diagree. Our house smelled so good when I was baking them and I couldn't resist to have a taste when they came out fresh out of the oven, Gabriella however made a yucky face and was not at all interested in them. Bummer, but we'll try again.

The rose butt you might ask? That's what hubbs calls a diaper rash. Don't ask me why, that's just what his family calls it so we call it that too. Well Gabriella has one. A bad one, horrible I may add! I'm thinking it's due to the solids but moreso the sweet potaotes that she was not too fond of. Her poor little butt is so red and iritated. She doesn't exactly have diarrhea, but she is going so often that her little bum is very irritated, poor G. Per the doctor's recommendations, we've had to stop feeding her all solids (that's what I get for being too excited), we have to wash her bum with unscented mild Dove soap and warm water every single time she has a dirty diaper, blow dry her bum until its completely dry, then apply Aquaphor, and last allow for air to hit the irriated spot a few times a day (be naked) which she enjoys:) Needless to say this whole solids thing has not been as fun as I anticipated. I wish she hadn't got a rose butt but she did. We will continue with solids and its adventures next week, wish us luck will ya?

1 comment:

My New Life As Mom said...

Could it also be a combination of teething and solids? I hear babies get real bad diaper rash when they are teething. My boy has. He gets little red blisters on his butt that bleed. I can change him, apply as much butt cream as I can and he'll still gets diaper rash occasionally. I've heard of a few babies getting BAD diaper rash after a few weird foods like peaches, etc.

Hopefully it goes better for you.