Friday, June 5, 2009

Bittersweet

Today is the last day of school, and although I'm very excited for my long summer break, its also a bittersweet day because this is the last day I will spend with my students, as my students.
As a teacher I've spent eight hours a day just about every day for nine months with them. Its only natural to grow an attchment with each one fo them for their own individual reason. Every year my class is "special" for different reasons. Last year it was my first year teaching and therefore, they held a special place in my heart. This year though, my students experienced my pregnancy with me and from the day they found out they have been so excited. Every time they see me eat they say the baby is hungry, they rub my belly,showered me with gifts, draw pictures of me with my growing belly and always chose to do their morning writings about me on Fridays-when it was free choice:)

Its such an awarding feeling to watch them bloom at the end of the year and to remember how young and ripe they came to me. Not knowing how to add or subtract, read or write, and now they know all of those things. My work has left a footprint in their lives as I've had the opportunity to be their teacher.

I will miss you.....
Love,
Mrs. Collazo

No comments: