Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'm thankful....

I was driving to Target through the holiday traffic earlier this evening to get some ornaments for my students. I was listening to the radio and they were sending "shout outs" and prayers to the troops overseas, afterwards the song "All I Want for Christmas Is You" came on and suddenly a feeling of nostalgia came over me and I started thinking about all the families that will spend this holiday season without their loved one because they are away defending our country. You see I know this feeling very well as my husband (boyfriend at the time) and sister served in Iraq and both were gone during the holiday season in the past; and let me tell you its a terrible feeling when you miss someone that bad and they're in harms way. So this holiday season I am thankful. I am very thankfukl to have my husband home and alive. Yes alive, because four years ago he had a terrible accident while on his second tour to Iraq and days away from coming home. But now he's home. I think about this every year during the holidays because the outcome could have been different. Karen will also come home and be with us for the holidays. Having your family home during the holidays is something that many of us take for granted, so for this reason I want to acknowledge how very thankful I am.

3 comments:

The DougFish said...

I'm certainly praying for those who cannot be with their families as well. And safety for them (and your sister!) I also keep in mind those who aren't really at home because they are in hospitals, be them a patient--as a pal of mine on bedrest with twins can attest-- or parents of a litle one, like Jose and Melissa.

I have to say I checked out (who I'm guessing is your) phographer's blog. AMAZING work. Gosh I've been trying to find someone but even our photographer is $300 a session...a price I'm not willing to pay for just some good shots of Mr. Asher. Is yours reasonable?

Mrs. C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The DougFish said...

We have a few connections to the Sullivans but did not personally know them. She graduated from Deer Park High School and was a year ahead of Doug in school. She is also the cousin of a friend of ours. When word started spreading about the blog (when Sara was about to deliver) we realized these coincidences.

"He will carry me" is heartbreaking too. I saw it a while back and I guess now they're pregnant again? That's great news.

Thanks for the info on your photographer. All we really know is our original wedding photographer. Now I'm trying to recruit my pals who are good with a SLR camera to just use ours to take our pics. Ha.