Monday, February 1, 2010

Simplifying My Life

Since we're in the process of preparing our house to be put on the market we have been doing some major cleaning. I absolutely hate clutter and we've always been pretty good about not having any (not to brag, but anyone who knows me irl knows my house is always pretty tidy), but once we started cleaning I ran into a lot of things that I don't  use, wear, or need. Things like my high school pom-poms, old Marine t-shirts that hubby would send me, house decor that I no longer have room for, and just old clothes that I don't wear anymore like my size 0 American Eagle jeans I wore in college. Let's face it, I will never find room for any of these things in my house or body for that matter, so why keep them? Mostly because there is some type of sentimental value to each of these thinsg that kept me from getingt rid of them.
We've been in the process for about 2 weeks now and boy I thought we had cleaned up really good before Gabriella's arrival, (when I say clean, I mean getting rid of unnecessary "stuff"). We've been going through every closet, every cabinet, every drawer, every.single. piece of wardrobe we both own, every old bill, and junk drawer. I cleaned the cupboards, the refrigerator, and every single corner of the bottom wood panel of our entire house. Hubbs scrubbed bathrooms, touched up the walls with paint, and took things up to the attic.We both did our fair share and it felt great!
So in the midst of this huge "Spring cleaning" in January I have realized that it makes me feel so  good to donate these things and have my home looking even more simple and clean and at the same time allowing someone else to put some good use to them.While going through all these things, there were items that I had only used a handful of times. I've realized that many times we buy things just to buy them and soon they join the collection of unwanted/uneeded "stuff". One thing I hope to incorporate in my life from now on and in our new home is to live a simpler more fulfilled life without so much stuff

No comments: