Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vacation Planning

I'm in the initial stage of planning our summer vacation, I'm just waiting on hubbs to give me his summer school schedule and its a go. I love researching stuff and planning-especially planning vacations. I enjoy finding and narrowing our destination, looking for reviews, and setting up an itinerary for each day. This time though its different because we have little Miss Gabriella that plays a big part of our vacation "planning". We just can't go somewhere exotic per se or go on a long flight as it will be her first time flying.

Our requirements for this trip is definitely a beach. I literally cannot wait to put Gabriella in the water and have her wiggle her toes in the sand. Second, we would like to keep it within the US for two reasons. Its our first time flying with a child and  we want a nonstop flight (the shorter the flight the better). And third, we want  plenty of kid/family activities to choose from. Wow, as I typed this I just realized how much our requirements have changed. Before I would say somewhere romantic, plenty of excersions, and great places to eat/drink, ha! This is yet another realization that I am in fact "a mom".

So with all our requests, some of the places that came up were of course Florida (no offense) but its so cliche to go to Florida on a family vacation, we always did anyway. The Bahamas at the fabulous Atlantis Resort, and although it would be awesome to go there and would definitely consider it in the future, Gabriella is just too young to enjoy it. And another that seems to really suit us is San Diego. Hmm, at first it really didn't appeal to me since we've both been there. In fact I spent an entire summer during college with my sister in San Diego and hubby has also briefly been there while in the Marines. We try to vacation at a different destination every time, but I think San Diego would be a great place to go with Gabriella. Here are the pros:
  • plenty of family oriented things to do like Sea World and the San Diego Zoo
  • gorgeous city and great weather
  • great beaches
  • its domestic so we can easily catch a nonstop flight 
  • we're able to drive to LA
  • pretty budget-friendly
  • best of all we can visit Aunt Karen, my Sis (now I'm jealous she lives there) and have a free sitter for an evening out  
Even though its not set in stone and I'm still researching we're really leaning towards San Diego. Anyone have any other suggestions?

4 comments:

Care said...

San Diego is good. I was going to recommend that our O.C. I prefer O.C. because we lived there and I think it felt more family-ish, but I'm biased. If you think about staying a night in Orange County, then you definitely need to go to the "baby beach" in Dana Point. There is also a great kid beach in Coronado (San Diego area). My favorite beach in O.C is in Laguna though. Definitely my favorite town! We lived in San Clemente and I would go there in a heartbeat, because you can swing on the beach, watch the amazing surfers and eat on the pier, but it doesnt have a good kid area. It is more for surfing. Ohh and Disney is in Anaheim! Anyway, have a fun trip!! You can't go wrong. :)

Unknown said...

hi following from MBC :)

The DougFish said...

How far do you go in comparing flight costs? We're going to HI in August, and I'm just not sure how far in advance to purchase. Also, I know some people have done well bargaining with priceline. Decisions, decisions...

Oh yea, my vote is CA too. Definitely would be nice to have a sitter on vaca.

Mrs. C said...

I usually start researching a couple of months in advance so I can get an idea as to what a good deal is when I see one. Once I find one I jump on it. I've always used Expedia and have found them to always offer the best deals. Priceline is good for hotels since you can name your own price but their vacation packages are usually higher. Also, I've known that on Tues-Wed. evenings is when you can get the best deals, I assume its because its in the middle of the week.
Hawaii, funny we're actually considering going back. Cali is definitely out. We've been there too many times and its the not the "type" of beach we like. Since we couldn't make up our mind hubby said let's just go back. Still considering HI, Puerto Rico, or Dominican Republic. Its much harder with a baby cause its not like we can go do excursions. HI is perfect with kids. I recommend you getting the "Blue Book" (guide book) for whatever island you're going to do. ex Maui Revealed, Kaui Revealed etc. and read it before you go.
I'll be happy to give you any recs. Ok sorry its this long. Once I start talking about vacation I can't stop:)
Happy vacation planning