Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day Weekend


Valentine's Day weekend was great! We missed Gabriella so much and kept talking about her, but it felt so good to spend some alone time together. We headed out early Saturday morning. After dropping Gabriella off at my mom's we picked up some breakfast and took it to eat on the road. Our friends Jamie and Rene joined us and we caught up with them in Katy. At first the morning was cloudy so the drive wasn't as nice through the Hill Country, but as soon as the sun came up it was much better. Along the way there were lots of homemade fudge and candy stores so we stopped to get some chocolate covered strawberries, yum! Our second stop was at Pedernales Cellars. It was pretty early when we arrived , maybe 10ish and there was already lots of people ready for some wine, us included-damn winos! We had a tasting of about 12 different wines and ended up buying a bottle of red wine to enjoy oustide on the porch at the cellar with some fabulous homemade chocolate we also purchased there (and some more bottles to take home).

After hanging out at the cellar for a while we headed out to Fredicksburg and arrived at our Bed and Breakfast. Let me just say that although we had a great time and props to hubbs for planning this, Bed and Breakfasts are just not my cup of tea and my hubby agrees. It was a very nice two story B&B with jacuzzi tubs in each room. We had the upstairs and Rene and Jamie had the downstairs. We ended up renting the whole house so we didn't have to share with any strangers like at most B&B's. We kind of knew that we weren't really "into" these types of places and therefore had never stayed at one. It just felt like we were at my great-grandmothers house or some place alike. For the money I would  much rather stay at a nice hotel with fluffy pillows and room service, you agree? Don't get me wrong we made the best out of it, and put the jacuzzi to use but we know we will not be returning to a Bed and Breakfast again. The experience was nice, but once will suffice.

So we arrived at the freakish B&B (I say freakish because there were old black and white pictures of the owner's family members) all over the house-I mean all over. The bathroom and all! Thank god I was pretty drunk tipsy by the time we arrived so they didn't seem to bother me too much until later on that evening. We jumped in the jacuzzi and then got ready to go to dinner where we had reservations at August E's. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting this little town-its fine dining at its best, delicious to say the least. Afterwards we headed out to a local bar and enjoyed  live music.

Early the next morning we had breakfast at a cute little German resturant/bakery. They had German pancakes and various pastry delicacies. We did a little shopping and stopped at another bakery to share a slice of carrot cake. I admit I was very bad this weekend and the scale showed it this morning when I didn't loose a pound, that however is another story. I was not going to restrain myself from all this yummy food, I'll just have to work out a little harder this week.
 



We headed back to Houston at about 2pm since I didn't have the day off for President's Day. Even though we had a great time, I couldn't wait to get back to my girl-I missed her so much. It was an awesome weekend with hubbs, props to ya Babe (minus the Bed and Breakfast)...I kid, I kid!



No comments: